Updated: Jul 9, 2019
EASTER is Approaching so read up on EASTER DANGERS FOR YOUR PETS: 🐣🥰
Easter lilies. In fact all lilies and lily of the valley. Keep them out of the house. All parts are extremely toxic to them, including the leaves, flowers and pollen, also the water they are in. Ingestion can be fatal so if you suspect your cat did ingest it, it is a medical emergency. Go to the vet immediately!
—> Plastic Easter grass. If it gets into the digestive tract it can become lodged requiring surgery. Paper grass is safer. <—
Chocolate. Toxic to cats, more so to dogs. Cats are less likely to sneak sweets than dogs. See more on chocolate under Dogs.
Cat Escapes. Put the cat in a back bedroom so they don't accidentally escape or guests .accidentally let them out.
Chocolate. The fat and sugar contained in chocolate are not digested by dogs. It is highly toxic to dogs and causes gastrointestinal upset or worse, pancreatitis, which is a medical emergency and can be fatal. See your vet if the dog shows signs of stomach upset or pain, hyperactivity, diarrhea or vomiting. Chocolate also contains toxic substances that can affect their neurologic and cardiac systems. Chocolate too can cause pancreatitis.
*Dark chocolate and unsweetened, such as baking chocolate are the most toxic as they contain more concentrations of the stuff that makes them ill. Make sure any chocolate is kept well out of reach from the pooch. See the vet immediately if you suspect doggie has ingested chocolate.
Xylitol is another toxic substance. It isn't just in soft drinks. As a sugar substitute it is in many candies, gums, sweets, fruit juices, tooth paste, jellies, jams and PEANUT BUTTER. There are many more foods and you can look up Xylitol on the net for more information. And, it isn't always listed as an ingredient. It can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar that results in seizures and possibly death. In higher doses it can cause liver damage that may not be reversible.
Fat Trimmings and Bones. High fat content can cause, again, pancreatitis. Very painful and dangerous and a medical emergency to see the vet. Bones can break teeth, cause choking, perforate the GI tract or cause intestinal blockage that may require surgery. If you do insist on giving your dog a bone, never give a cooked bone as they are prone to splintering. Only give a raw bone & Never cooked poultry bones.
Plastic Easter grass. Same dangers as with cats.
Easter Lilies. Dogs are not as affected as cats (see above), however, they can develop a GI irritation with vomiting and diarrhea from nibbling on any part of them. Easter lilies are prone to a certain type of fungus which can cause illness in dogs if ingested. And, Easter lilies are often treated with insecticides for the aphids that spread the fungus and if consumed can make the dog ill.
While Easter lilies themselves are not toxic to dogs, other types of lily, such as peace lilies and calla lilies, are. Be sure to check your plants carefully before bringing them into your home, and keep them well out of reach of your animals, or use other types of Easter decorations, without strings, instead.
Food coloring. While consumption of food products colored with food dye is not likely to cause an immediate adverse medical reaction, if your pet gets into a lot of food dye, contact your veterinarian or pet poison hotline immediately for advice.
Onions, Garlic,Chives and Leeks. As well as other members of the allium family.are toxic to dogs and cats. Again here, a dog is more prone to eat these things than the finicky cat. But if either ingests these, they can cause gastroenteritis and hemolytic anemia. Signs of eating them may not appear for a few days, but when they do, your pet could exhibit nausea, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, pale gums, and increased heart and breathing rates. See your vet right away!
Alcoholic beverages. Harmful to both dogs and cats due to their small size.and it hits their bloodstream very quickly. Keep these beverages out of the reach of the pets. Signs of distress include lethargy, drooling, vomiting, or gagging, or has disorientation or difficulty walking.
Macademia nuts. Toxic to dogs but not usually fatal. Look for lethargy, vomiting, wobbliness, tremors, joint stiffness, depression, and increased temperature in a dog who has ingested macadamia nuts. Go to the vet.
Let's All Have a Safe and Happy Easter!